Thursday, May 22, 2008

亲爱的老爸,生日快乐!


My dad's birthday falls on Vesak Day but we celebrated this joyous occasion on last Sunday. It's my dad's 88th Birthday (wow!)... My dad and mum went through a lot of hardship and it's really tough on them to bring up ten children (I'm the youngest) at that time, but then, I didn't really treasure them in my much younger days... I realised it's not easy on them to raise us and gave us the best that they can.

When I was in my teenage, I really didn't care much about my parents and sometimes, I really find them naggy and to certain extent, I would ask myself how come they can't provide me with much better things as compared to my peers, they're having such a good life but I'm not. My dad used to be a hawker and I've to start to help out at the stall as early as 5am on weekends during my primary to secondary school days. But as I slowly grew up, I appreciate the fact that I actually went through these hardship and I've learned so much more in life.

Few years back, my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and when I went to hospital to visit him, the doctor told me he has only one more year left to live. My heart was crashed and I remembered calling my brother but I just kept crying and I simply can't talk over the phone. We decided not to let my dad knows about his condition and let him undergo the chemotherapy, we're so happy that my dad has fully recovered (even the doctor found it amazing) and he's living healthily until now. Although my dad was diagnosed with dementia last year (after a fall), we're still happy to have him here even though he can't recognise us some times. I still remembered last Sunday when we all gathered together and he kept asking who is this, who is that... He was so surprised and told us he didn't know he has so many children, he's really adorable... I guess my dad was considered as one of those fortunate family man, he's so many children who's still looking after him and he has... hmmm... 18 grandchildren and one great grandchildren.

If you happen to read my post, I really hope you're one of those who'll treasure the ones around you, if you're not, please start doing so. We've seen lots of cases where people regretted when their loved ones are no longer in this world, it'll really be too late by then.
Let's not look at the past or plan so much for the future, let's just treasure the ones around us --- NOW...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat,

Happy birthday to your dad and I am sure he feels happy and lucky to have his children to look after him. :)
There are too many cases of children who don't look after parents :(

Jenny

Richard said...

Kat,

Its a bit late, but still wish your dad a belated Happy Birthday.

祝他老人家:
...老当益壮
.....年年有今日
.......岁岁有今朝
.........福如东海
...........寿比南山

Kat said...

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much... It's fine to be belated, it's the thought that counts mah... (",)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Hi Kat

Happy Belated Birthday to your Dad...